Located in the quiet Ang Mo Kio Ave 4 neighbourhood is yet another ice cream cafe. I’ve lost count of the number of ice cream cafes here, including Scoopz, which is just a few units down from Madcow. Competition can be tough, and pricing doesn’t always win customers. At Madcow, it is touted as a ice cream and a music cafe, whereby local artistes pop by to share their works.
Looking at the flavours of the ice cream, I knew I would have a hard time picking ice cream flavours. There’s just so many! Hence we went with the 6 pak! 6 flavours of ice cream at $18. For someone like me, that literally goes in search of ice cream places, I’m starting to able to spot who supplies the cafe’s ice cream based on the ice cream flavours presented. I was surprised to see vanilla rootbeer! Definitely something that screams unique to me!
The flavours we had picked were
- Sea Salt Caramel – The saltiness was distinct and the caramel fragrance was strong but it tasted a bit too icy for my liking
- Rocky Road Chocolate – Can’t go wrong with a chocolate ice cream with marshmallows. The marshmallows provided a chewy and fluffy texture in the smooth chocolate ice cream
- Thai Milk Tea – I’m a huge fan of thai milk tea, so this is my go-to flavour at almost every ice cream cafe. The colour was right, the flavour not so. I felt like I was eating a thai milk tea sorbet? The milk flavour was hardly detectable by my palate. I could taste bits of melting icy particles embedded in the ice cream. The caramel sauce helped make this ice cream flavour abit more enjoyable.
- Taro – Yay! I love taro as well, mainly the colour, but this tasted decent, not too artificially tasting
- Vanilla Root Beer – The aromatic lingering fragrance of the root beer coupled with a distinctive earthy and fragrant vanilla flavour won me over! The texture was smooth, creamy and melt-in-your-mouth kind. *highly recommended*
- Mint – I think this is more of a cookie with mint ice cream flavour. Huge whole chunks of oreo cookies were buried like treasure in the ice cream! 🙂 Not a bad choice to be honest.
Along with the 6 pak, we also got a waffle set, 2 waffles – one was original, the other was red velvet. I couldn’t taste the difference between the two. But both waffles was cooked to perfection on the waffle iron. Crisp on the exterior like a khong guan biscuit and slightly airy with a nice buttermilk fragrance on the inside.
Overall : I’m glad to see a nice chill out spot in AMK, that serves up yummy waffles and a huge variety of ice cream. Though some ice cream flavours are a hit or miss, I would still come back for the waffles and the atmosphere!
Name : Madcow Ice cream & Music Cafe